Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Culture shock

A week has passes and culture shock has set in.
Bag of water
Cats, dogs, donkeys, goats, sheep, monkeys, lizards, birds, all roam the street
Dangerous driving conditions more dangerous walking conditions, look both ways!
Everyone wants to talk to you, almost everyone wants your number, some people will tell you they love you.
Fish market, not a place you want to go, or be near, smelly
Gambia's moto Its nice to be nice
Hair,  my hair has turned into straw and I soon may have dreads weather I want them or not.
I am in love with the children
Just let it be, I got on the wrong bush taxi and was super nervous but it all worked out in the end
Kind people do exist, just have to watch out for the love diggers and gold digger.
Lamin is the name given to all first born sons in Wolof culture
My feet hurt from walking everywhere
No toilet paper you have to provide your own, mine looks and feels like pink party streamers
Pace, the pace of life his is very very slow Ndanka Ndanka.
Quiet, people speak very softly here, its hard to hear teachers in class as well.
Rest, I have gotten into the habit of going to bed early and waking up early
Trees, there are so many pretty trees here
Stacy, the name that I tell people who I dont want to know my name such as those who I hitchhike with
Universal, smiling is universal it is a way to express many different things even if you dont know the language
Vegetables are a staple as is bread, rice, and pasta
Women weren't aloud to attend school prior to the 60's
Xylaphones
Zebras, havent seen one and dont think I will

No comments:

Post a Comment