Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I am here

I am here in the Gambia and I must say that after only 3 days I am in love with this place. I feel that there is to much to say so I will just make a list of interesting things that I have experienced.

1. falling down the stairs at the Brussels airport, great way to start the trip.
2. The Banjul Airport, Hustlers. Everyone wants to grab your bags and they wont give them back to you unless you pay them.
3.walking everywhere, average of 10 hours a day.
4. The kids are adorable, they are so curious about us, they call us toubob which means stranger or in our case white person.
5. People don't speak much English even though it is the national language. Its ok tho we are talking lessons in Wolof which is the local language.
6. I was offered a child, which I would have gladly taken.
7. The beach is an hour walk from our house, its work the walk.
8. Julbrew is the local beer which is surprisingly really good, there is no drinking age here.
9. Bread is served with everything
10. All of the food is wonderful and full of flavor
11. Africa has the best French fries well at least Haddy makes the best French fries
12. The power occasionally goes out
13. I have gotten used to drinking warm water and bathing with cold water
14. The hustle and bustle of the city is comparable to NYC
15. sand is everywhere and its quite hard to walk through
16. dont open your backpack in front of a monkey
17. Gambian men love white women, the more voluptuous the better
18. Gambia is a place for women 60+ to come and find a much younger soul mate, at least for the week and about 50 dollors.

1 comment:

  1. Honey, this is so awesome!! I can't wait to read more... when you get a book deal with Oprah let me know.

    ReplyDelete